Wrongful Convictions: Using the Criminal Appeal System

Women's Justice Initiative

Have you been wrongfully convicted or sentenced?

The legal charity APPEAL will act to challenge miscarriages of justice arising out of the courts in England and Wales. They do not charge clients for legal representation.

They will support women who:

  • Want to appeal a sentence for a minor, non-violent crime
  • Maintain that they are innocent
  • Have been convicted of harming or killing someone who abused them
  • Didn't have their mental health properly considered when sentenced

Get in contact:

You can write to APPEAL -

2-10 Princeton St,

Please include information on your offence and sentence and a copy of any documents you have relating to your case.

If writing from prison remember to mark the envelope with "RULE 39" so it remains confidential.

tel: 0207 040 0019

Hear from Cookie and her experience of appealing her sentence...

Read the article (P54, Summer 2019) in WIP's national magazine by WIP Trustee and Women's Justice Advocate at APPEAL Naima Sakande.